Saturday, November 22, 2014

Shrimp Spotlight: Panda

The Gang
Post before bed.  I hope you guys enjoy the picture.  This is shrimps from my 60P Panda Taiwan Bee Shrimp Tank.

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

New kid on the block!

New addition to the family
I'm just so excited to find the new batch of babies just born into the tank. This new guy was birth sometime last night to today. He or she is a young Red Wine/Ruby Red in training. The tank is starting to really get homey for all these guys as mommas start releasing her babies.  

Tiny baby
Newly born babies have a tendency to stay put to where they originally hatched. This sort of behavior usually last a few days for newly born babies as they need the time to situate themselves. This means you'll definitely want to have a nicely filled tank where babies feel safe and secure.  This is why I like moss and tend to have a lot of moss inside my tanks.  Fluffier moss like Fissidens is great because it offers a lot of folds where babies can snuggly hide between.  As they reach the week old mark, they will start moving around and explore their new world.  I'm spotting a few more newly hatched babies and they're all so CUTE!

Thank you for reading!

Tuesday, November 18, 2014


Flame Moss
It has been roughly 3 weeks since I tied the flame moss on these lava rocks and I am pretty amazed at just how quickly it took for the moss to establish itself and start growing.  As of late, I've been more inclined to tying my moss on rocks rather than my traditional practice of tying it on Stainless Steel Mesh.  I feel like attaching moss on rocks gives the moss a bit of character and really adds to the overall potential of the moss when it has a chance to fully grow and establish itself.  A while back, a buddy gave me one of his mini fissidiens growing on a piece of lava rock and I think that's when I became hooked on this whole rock deal.  I'm still a big fan of tying moss on SS mesh, but there is something about flame moss that just screams to be tied to lava rocks.
This is an overview of the entire tank inside my room that a few folks who visited for the Pandas didn't have the chance to see. Unfortunately, being that the tank is inside my room, most folks will never have a chance to see how the tank look besides seeing it in pictures.

This is my 8gal rimless tank housing Taiwan Bee - Red Wines and Red Wine variants. My Dragon's Blood Red Wines comes from this tank. I got these wonderful shrimps from the same buddy who gave me the mini fissidens. I'm so lucky and very grateful to have great friends.

The tank itself is pretty simple.  The tank is mainly comprised of moss growing on rocks and/or on driftwood. The centerpiece, as you can see in the middle, is a piece of driftwood with fissidens fontanus growing all over it's entirety.

In the front, I have an experimental piece of moss housing unit (more like a clamp) that is holding down my mini x-mas moss. It's been clamped on that device for a good part of a month. Growth is terribly slow, but it does show signs of growing.  All the moss are very healthy without signs of any algae development. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that none will develop as this tank is currently very balanced.

Thank you for reading!

Monday, November 17, 2014

Pure Red Line

It's been getting colder here in California.  I think my shrimps will stop breeding soon. I have very fortunate to have my PRL tank with a few berried females.  I think this will be the last clutch the carry until spring.  I'm so very excited!


Saturday, November 15, 2014

Pure Red Line

Nishiki PRL
Over at parents' house today and brought the camera along for some rare photos of my PRL colony. The Nishiki Pure Red Line inside are happily breeding away.  This is one of the older babies that have sinced grown.  He/She is looking really beautiful.

Thanks for reading!

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Red Wine Taiwan Bees

Red Wine - Dragon's Blood

Had some time today, so I brought out the camera and took some photos of my Red Wines.  Please allow me to introduce to you my Dragon's Blood Red Wine.  She's a youngster but her dark marbling is delightful to look at.


Sunday, August 17, 2014

New Camera + Macro Lens

Sharing 2 photos that really stood out during my practice photoshoot session. 

My Pandas were experiencing a breeding slow down for 2 months after transitioning from the breeder box to the 60P. They're doing much better now in their new home. Breeding has also picked up since then so I'm really happy about that. Hope to get more shrimps soon! 

Thanks for reading!!

*This is a test upload from mobile. 

Friday, June 20, 2014

ADA 60-P

Wanted to make a small post to give updates on my shrimps and my new (relatively new) 60-P set up back in early January 2014.  Tank was setup with a bottom layer of biomedia rocks and capped with about 4in of ADA AS.  Tank is being filtered with an Eheim 2115 and an UGF hooked up to a water pump feeding into my dual breeder box.  Plant wise, I wanted to do something simple and easy to maintain so I decided to just do a moss tank.  Plants includes Fissidens, Mini Fissidens, Fissidens Geppi, Mini Pellia, Rose Moss, and Buce. "brownie ghost blue".   I was able to rehomed the Taiwan Bees living in the breeder box and everyone seems to be much happier.  After rehoming, my Big Mommas got berried, released, and babies have grown within the last 2 months.  Here are some pictures!

Full Tank
Dirty tank before cleaning
Full Bodied Blue Bolt
Shadow BKK
Shadow Panda in flight
Top View: Buce. "brownie ghost blue"
Shadow Panda Momma *nomnomnomnom*